Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Thomas Malthus (Eva Lindquist)

      This Industrial Revolution is not a good thing. The problems it solves cause further trouble. For instance, people are living longer. Normally, I would not be against that, but I find the growing numbers of the masses worrisome. Everywhere, I see the effects of overpopulation: crowding, hunger, misery. We cannot grow food fast enough to keep up with this trend. This supposedly glorious Revolution, with all of its miraculous new devices and ideas, will solve war, disease, famine- anything that moderates population growth. In the old days, we needed bigger families, because we knew at least a few of us would not live. Now, with our technological advances, having so many children to care for is a liability to everyone. An Industrial Revolution solves many problems, yes; it produces positive results, yes; but it may end up causing us to self-destruct from too many people living too long.

1 comment:

  1. Young Boy Coal Miner (Romina Garakani)
    You are worried about the fact that people are living longer?! That is absurd! You should be worried about the fact that young boys like me are working in coal mines for twelve hours a day to provide for our families. I am only a young boy!!! I don't deserve to waste my childhood in a dark coal mine and risk my life!

    ReplyDelete