Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Women worker in a textile mill in London (Elise Warren)

Everyday I live in fear. Fear of getting my hand cut off, like I see everyday. Or the fear of the factory catching on fire and being trapped inside, and watching us all die. I see kids, at such a young age, sitting and working 10 hours days when they should be getting educated. Instead, they stay to provide for their family. We all sit and work all day just waiting for an accident to happen. Anyone that says that the European industrial revolution positively influenced all European citizens is sadly mistaken. The world has become a more dangerous place, and why did we need the change anyways? Yes, I'm glad that women finally have a role in society, but does our job really need to be this hazardous? And why did the children need to get involved when they're just kids? I am thinking about returning home and becoming a housewife again. That is what many of my friends are doing, and they seem happy to be in the safety and comfort of their homes again. After all, we are only home for about two to four hours a day when we are not sleeping. Someone needs to run the house, and the industrial revolution has stopped me from doing that. Some may think that's good and it is nice to be out of the house, but not me. I want to be caring for my family, and living free of fear, but living in the shadow of death for the sake of cotton everyday just isn't cutting it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Boy Coal Miner (Romina Garakani)
    I too live in fear everyday. I fear that that there will be an explosion, flooding, or a collapsing of a tunnel. I fear that my sister, dad, or I may die at any moment in the darkness. I agree with you. The European Industrial Revolution has not influenced people like us. It has made our lives miserable, especially for kids like me. I could be in school right now, learning, but instead I am in the coal mines for twelve hours. I will never accomplish my dream of becoming an educated man because of my job at the coal mine.

    ReplyDelete