Thursday, September 26, 2013

John Locke (Kenny Shanos)

I am John Locke.  I was born on August 29, 1632 in Wrington, England.  I attended school in Westminster in 1647.  Here, I was honored with the name King's Scholar, which was only given to a select few people.  Since my father was in the military, I received an outstanding education for my time.  In 1652, I attended Christ Church at the University of Oxford.  At Oxford, I studied medicine.  Here, I studied metaphysics and classical languages.  I graduated in 1656, but two years later, I came back to Christ Church where I received my Master of Art.  After that, in 1668, I was elected to be part of the Royal Society.  I again graduated from Oxford in 1674 with a bachelor's degree in medicine.  I then met Earl of Shaftsbury.  He was sick and wanted my help to cure him.  I did so, and he liked me so much that he asked me to come and live in London with him to be his personal physician.  I wrote most of my essay, Two Treaties of Government, during my time with Shaftsbury because he was very influential to me.  I wrote about how everyone is born with equal natural rights and how the government should protect those rights.  After this was published in 1689, I was forced to leave England because I was falsely accused of attempting to murder King Charles II and his brother.  While in Holland, I wrote An Essay Concerning Human Understanding, which examined the nature of human knowledge.  It also talks about how people are born free and have unalienable natural rights.  Then, I moved to back to England, to Essex, where I spent the rest of my life. I was a key member in the Whig party which talked about government ideas.  Finally, I lived with Sir Francis Masham from 1691 until I died on October 28, 1704.

No comments:

Post a Comment