Thursday, September 26, 2013

Montesquieu (Sarah Schumacher)

Bonjour! Mon nom est Charles- Louis de Secondat. However, most refer to me as the great philosphe Montesquieu. I was born in France on January 18, 1689. I was born to a wealthy and prosperous family. I was educated at the University of Bordeaux in 1708, here I received my degree in law. I also studied at the Oratorian Collège de Juilly. After this I journeyed to Paris to continue my profession and studies.  My two major works are The Persian Letters and The Spirit of the Laws. Both of the novels reflect the European idea of despotism. However, both novels will be treated very differently. My main belief structure is that I believe in democracy, and a three branch system of government that has functioning checks and balances. Some refer to me as a large supporter of the Separation of Powers. This is ultimately the best way to protect liberty. By having these checks and balances in place one branch of government cannot become too powerful. My beliefs are a large part of the structure of the American Government System. They too, have a full functioning three-branch government system. The three branches of government include Judicial, Executive and Legislative. I died on February 10, 1755 in Paris, France. 

No comments:

Post a Comment