Thursday, September 26, 2013

Montesquieu (Rachel Latham)



Hello, my name is Charles-Louis de Secondat, or Baron de Montesquieu, but you can just call me Montesquieu. I was born on the 19th of January in the year 1689 in a town called La Brède, and I died in 1755 due to a terrible fever. I attended a college named Oratorian Collège de Juilly, and later attended the University of Bordeaux in order to obtain my degree in law. In the year of 1716, I was given my title, Baron de Montesquieu, which I inherited from my late uncle. After publishing my novel, the Persian Letters, I experienced quite a bit of literary fame. After residing in Paris for a few years and then traveling around Europe, I decided to return to my hometown of La Brède, and I began to work on The Spirit of the Laws. Also, I strongly believed in protecting liberty; I believe that by separating the powers of government into three branches, these branches being the legislative, judicial, and executive. I contributed many different ideas to the Enlightenment period in Europe, and left a wonderful legacy behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment