Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thomas Hobbes (Elise Warren)

I was born in Malmesbury England on April 5, 1588. My uncle was my father figure and made me go to school at Magdalen Hall. I started tutoring a man named William Cavendish in 1608. We went on the grand tour together and met many other philosophers in Europe. He died in 1638 but my strong relation with his family allowed me to sit on discussion circles. I could see from these discussions the structure and power of government. Somehow, I got involved in the argument between Parliament and The king. I decided to defend the king, which got me kicked out of england after he was executed. I lived in france until 1651, but while I was there I studied a lot of math and law and became very strong in those subjects. I also wrote. One of my most famous pieces is Leviathan, which includes lots of my philosophies. In this book I argued for the social contract. I also argued for a monarch because only that type of government can hold society together. After all, we are all selfish and evil by nature. In 1651 I returned to england but suffered a stroke that ended my life 28 years later. My ideas left a lasting impression on Western Political ideas and other important philosophers.

No comments:

Post a Comment