Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Montesquieu (Chris Wright)

Hello I am Charles de Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu or known as Montesquieu. I was born in the 17th century on the 18th of January, 1689 in the Château de la Brède, France. I am most known for advancing the ideas of separation of powers. I believe that to protect liberty is to divide powers of government among the three banches known as the legislative, executive, and judicial. My early life was around a time of significant governmental change, England declared itself a constitutional monarchy and joined with Scottland to become the kingdom of Great Britian. Also Louis XIV dies and Louis the XV took his place. Both of these changes had a great impact on me, you would know if you read my work. One of my most known books was the Spirit of Laws which had a huge inflence on Europe but you could say the Catholic church didn't like it as much. The pre revolution American colonies where also very fond of my work which they quoted almost as much a the Bible. I traveled around Europe in the later part of mylife until I died February 10th 1755 at the age of 66.

No comments:

Post a Comment