Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thomas Hobbes (Romina Garakani)

My name is Thomas Hobbes. I was born on April 5th, 1588. I lived during the Age of Reason. I died on December 4th, 1679. I received my college education at Oxford University in England. I studied classics there. I traveled to other European countries several times to meet with scientists and to study different forms of government. In 1651, I wrote the Leviathan. In the book, I argued that people were naturally wicked and could not be trusted to govern. I was best known for my political thought. My main concern was the problem of social and political order. During my time outside of England, I became interested in why people allowed themselves to be ruled and what would be the best form of government for England. I believed that humans were selfish creatures who would do anything to better their position. Also, people would act on their evil impulses. People should not be trusted to make decisions on their own. Also, nations, like people, were selfishly motivated. Each country was in a constant battle for power and wealth. Therefore, an absolute monarchy would be the best. Governments were created to protect people from their own selfishness. The best government would be one that had the great power  of a leviathan, or sea monster. A country would need a king to provide direction and leadership. Democracy would allow citizens to vote for government leaders, but would never work. A diverse group of representatives presenting the problems of the common person would prevent a king from being cruel and unfair. I believed that an individual could be heard in government by authorizing a representative to speak on their behalf. I came up with the phrase "voice of the people."

No comments:

Post a Comment