Thursday, September 26, 2013

Rousseau (Olivia Harrington)

Hello my name is Jean-Jacques Rousseau. I am an influential thinker from the enlightenment period, in Europe. I am a Genevan philosopher, composer, and writer of the 18th century. I was born on June 28, 1712. With my mother passing away nine days after my birth, my father took care of me and educated me until I was ten years old. When I was 16 years old, he left the city of Geneva and became under the influence of Francoise-Louise de la Tour, Baronne de Warens. Mme. de Warens was a Roman Catholic convert noblewoman. In April of 1728, she sent me to the town of Turin where he converted to Roman Catholicism. I also trained to be a Catholic priest for some time, but I became Mme. de Waren's household manager. I later moved to Lyon in 1740 to become a tutor. This was my first contact with people of the French Englightenment. After this I traveled to Paris to present a system that I created of musical notation. However, I was rejected by the Academy. During the Enlightenment period, I was the thinker that believed that people were born naturally good. I thought that they were tabula rasa, which means that they had a clean slate. I believe that they had a clean slate, but society corrupted every individual that was born good. Also, I believe that the good of the community placed above individual interests, and people should work for the good of their own community. My life sadly came to an end on July 2, 1778.

No comments:

Post a Comment