Thursday, September 26, 2013

John Locke (Yash Gokhale)

Good day fellow thinkers, my name is John Locke, but you can call me Locke for short. I was born on the twenty ninth of August, 1632 in the village of Wrington, Somerset, England. My father was a lawyer and a military veteran with many connections. Both my parents were puritans so as you can imagine I was raised a puritan as well. Through hard work, determination, and my fathers connections I was named a Kings Scholar and recieved an outstanding education at the Westminster School in London in 1647. In school I studied logic and metaphysics which started me on the path to become a philosopher of the Enlightenment period. Later in my life I wrote an essay entitled Two Treatises of Government which encompassed most of my beliefs and ideas. In it I wrote of the idea that people are born inherently good with natural rights and form governments to protect these rights. My literary work created much unrest in the English people and after an assassination attempt on King Charles the second and his brother I was forced to leave England in 1683. In my later years I wrote another work of literature called An Essay Concerning Human Understanding in which I tried to understand the nature of human knowledge. On October 28, 1704 I passed away in Essex, United Kingdom. Years after my death, my ideas still live on and influence people today.

No comments:

Post a Comment