Thursday, September 26, 2013

John Locke (Eva Lindquist)

      Hello. My name is John Locke. I was born on August 29, 1632, in Wrington, Somerset, England. My parents were Puritans, so I received an excellent education: I went to Westminster School, then studied medicine at Christ Church (University of Oxford). My friend, the Earl of Shaftsbury, made me his secretary of presentations. His influence weighs greatly into my philosophies. 
      Due to my Two Treatises of Government and my revolutionary ideas within, the English government targeted me. I was accused of trying to assassinate King Charles II and his brother in the Rye House Plot. While I was exiled in the Netherlands, I wrote An Essay Concerning Human Understanding. This was published after I came back to England, after the Glorious Revolution of 1688, whereupon I was viewed as a hero. I continued to help the new government until my death on October 28, 1704.
    
      I believe that all men are inherently good and are all born with natural rights, such as those to life, liberty, and property. I think that people form governments to protect their natural rights. However, the government has an obligation to the people, who have a right to overthrow it if it fails in this duty. A good government would have limited power and be accepted by all citizens. 

(Source: biography.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment