Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thomas Hobbes (Kyle Riggs)

My name is Thomas Hobbes. I was born on April 5th 1588, in London England. I was born to a poor family, but my wealthy Uncle was able to provide for my education. I studied at the University of Oxford. After finishing my formal education I traveled to other countries in an attempt to learn more about science and governments. I was an English philosopher best know for my ideas about politics and government. In 1640 I left England and went to France for over 10 years. This was a time of civil wars and I was worried about my safety in England. In 1651, I wrote my most famous book, Leviathan. In it i argueed that people were generally bad and selfish, and could not be trusted to govern themselves. I believe in an absolute monarchy, where a kind or queen has full power. I believe that humans, left to themselves will only work to benefit themselves. Governments were created to protect people from their own natural selfishness. Every country needs a strong authority figure for leadership and direction. I passed away on December 4th 1679, living to an impressive 91 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment