Thursday, September 26, 2013

Montesquieu (Brian Gemma)

Hello, my name is Charles-Louis de Secondat but you can call me Montesquieu. I was born on January 18, 1689 in France. My father was Jacques de Secondat and he was a soldier and he had a long noble ancestry. My mother, Marie Francoise de Pesnel died when I was very young. I was only seven years old. I wrote many works that were successful. Some of them are Lettres persanes and The Persian Letters. These books had a strong influence on a lot of people. I was also looked at as a champion of liberty.  I traveled a lot. I went to Austria, Hungary, Italy, and many more places. I struggled sometimes at these places because I have very poor eyesight. It affected me from my early life around 1695 and as I got older all the way until 1755. I have always believed in the Separation of Powers.  I always believed that the best way to protect liberty was to divide the various functions and powers of government among three branches, the legislative branch, the executive branch, and the judicial branch. If we follow these guidelines, the world will be a much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment