Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thomas Hobbes (Brooke Anderson)

Hello my name is Thomas Hobbs. I was born on April fifth 1588 in Westport, England. I died at age 91 on December fourth 1679. I was exceptionally smart and by age 14 I attended Magdalen Hall in Oxford. In 1610 I traveled around Europe and met many other philosophers. I was friends with William Cavendish, who was a member of Parliament. This allowed me to sit in on many debates. When a dispute broke out in the 1840 I wrote defended the king. Pieces of my writing was used in Parliament to help defend him. These disputes ending up turning into wars so I fled to France where I lived until 1651. I then became interested in Sciences and Maths which I had never studied much before. I wrote the book The Leviathan which supported my ideals. The beliefs outlined in my book all have to do with absolute power. Absolute power is necessary since humans are born selfish and do not try to help others. This can only be fixed by having one monarch in complete control to keep society from turning on each other. I returned to england in 1615 where I spent my days writing more and translating
The Odyssey and The Iliad. I died from a stroke in 1679 28 years after returning home.

No comments:

Post a Comment