Sunday, October 27, 2013

Marie Antoinette (Rachel Latham)

The Haitian Revolution was neither a good or bad event. I believe that their independence from France, was not very beneficial to them, in conjunction with the fact that many armies sailed to Haiti in order to keep the colony under France's control. However, I found myself laughing at the French army being defeated yet again. First they were being defeated by Austria, but now they are being defeated by one of their own colonies? It's truly hilarious. At least they cannot blame the loss of this war on me. However, I find their actions after declaring independence admirable; abolishing slavery was quite the radical thought for some countries during that time period. I applaud Haiti's aspirations for equality and truly hope that they find success as a new, independent country.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with your expressions towards Haiti's aspirations for equality and their hope as a new independent country. However, how do you conclude towards this as not being a great success?! Their independence from France was very beneficial in fact, they were able to win over the troops in the end, omitting the control as a final result. The final result is what matters and is of upmost importance, creating the revolution to be a fantastic event overall.

    ReplyDelete