Monday, October 14, 2013

Order, Security, and Efficiency / Montesquieu (Will Campbell)

The other day I was asked by a fellow philosophe which characteristics of the French Revolution I preferred more: those of the earlier phases, Liberty, Equality, and Fraternity, or those of Napoleon's reign, Order, Security, and Efficiency. I promptly told his that I much preferred Order, Security, and Efficiency over the latter option. Why, you may ask? Well, these three traits are practically what my major ideas about government are all about! In case any of you have forgotten, I came up with the idea of three branches within government that would check and balance each other; three branches that would promotes Order, Security, and Efficiency. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Revolution (after all, those nobles really did need to go), but I certainly was not one for the path the revolution took towards achieving their goals. Everything was so chaotic, and many, if not all decisions were made based on the opinions of a select few rather than those of the people that had begun this revolution. It was when Napoleon took over that I became a believer in the cause again. He brought the Order, Security, and Efficiency this country truly needed and that my form of government clearly promoted (granted, he didn't USE my form of government, but that's not the point).

1 comment:

  1. Thomas Hobbes (Romina Garakani)

    Fellow Philosophe,
    Your ideas are a little off of the bullseye. I do agree that with order, security, and efficiency over liberty, equality, and fraternity, but the people need a stronger and more powerful government than three branches. Humans are cruel and selfish. They need to be controlled. Checks and balances are not sufficient enough. A social contract and an absolute monarchy are much better than the government that you came up with. I believe that as a country, we should adapt to an absolute monarchy, so we are on the bullseye.

    ReplyDelete