Friday, October 25, 2013

(Toussaint L'Ouveture)


Revolution, whenever I hear that word a small fire is lit inside of me. The Haitian Revolution was one of those times in my life where I felt alive! Back when the island was known as St. Domingo I was apart of many small uprisings like getting rid of the whipping of slaves. After winning this lets other slaves like myself learn that we can revolt, and be successful. At this time in history I had begun to gain prominent political power. Also, the Spanish had been fighting with the French leaving them weak and vulnerable. I and many others believed that this was the perfect time to revolutionize what is now present day by abolishing slavery. Everything had been going great, we had even established an autonomic constitution. Then in around 1803 Napoleon was unhappy with us so he sent troops to gain back control in Haiti. They even captured me and brought me to where I am today, rotting away in some prison. I am a hero not some criminal!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you my dear friend Toussaint. I am the same way about revolution as you are. I believe as you do also that it is the only way to accomplish something you have forever yearned for. It teaches everyone that their voice can be heard through the positive outcome of a revolution. I understand that many may die throughout the fight, but one's life if worth a millions in terms of revolution. I guess it comes down to how bad do you want to accomplish independence, voting, and other liberties you wish you had!

    ReplyDelete