Thursday, October 24, 2013

Olympe de Gouges (Eleanor Fulghum)

With recent news about a Haitian Revolution, I was terribly excited! This is what I mean when I say that people need to truly fight for their independence! In other words- I'm am so glad that the Haitian people had the guts as well as the will to overthrow their people! In France, it was almost as if some people began to cower before the government- but not for the Haitians! Personally, I can't view the outcome of this revolution than anything more than a complete success! I would also like to credit Toussaint L'Ouverture for showing people that birth doesn't have to influence their overall status in society, as he was able to carry out a revolution that freed the slaves and granted his country independence! This makes Haiti not only a success- but a country to look up to! Defying all odds, this revolution proved that people have the ability to accomplish anything regardless of a class system or a supreme power. After years of being on an island that supports slavery, it must be ever so refreshing for the Haitians to live as equal, free people. We French could indeed make a lesson out of this, and maybe learn something about equality for ourselves! Now...what I am wondering is when women are going to start having a say in things...

No comments:

Post a Comment